Press ReleasesGo Back
• Best Roland Garros audiences on Eurosport for THIRTEEN YEARS
• Roland Garros reached 56.9 million Europeans on Eurosport
• Major viewership increase across multiple markets including Germany and Spain
• Men’s final most-watched programme EVER on Eurosport in Spain
• Increased video viewership and engagement on Eurosport’s social media channels
Romanian Simona Halep talking about her maiden Grand Slam title win at Roland Garros on Game, Schett and Mats
Eurosport today reported record-breaking linear and digital viewership for Roland Garros, making it the most successful edition on the channel for 13 years.*
The number one destination for sports fans in Europe reached 56.9 million fans across the continent with its linear coverage, an 11% increase compared to the 2017 tournament. On digital platforms, Eurosport also recorded over 29m video views during the event – an increase of 23% - as Eurosport’s social networks (Facebook, YouTube and Instagram) were the go-to destination for tennis fans.
Rafael Nadal’s 11th title triumph in the decider on Court Philippe-Chatrier over Dominic Thiem was watched by 4.5m (on average) across Europe*, making it the most watched men’s final since 2005. Eurosport Spain’s coverage of the Nadal – Thiem match saw it become the most popular programme of all-time while Discovery-owned free-to-air channel DMAX in Spain also recorded impressive numbers, 1.6m viewers (on average) watching the final with a peak of 2.3m.
Eurosport also reported its most-watched women’s final since 2005 as Romanian Simona Halep saw off Sloane Stephens in three sets to claim her maiden Grand Slam title. An average of 3.7m* tuned in across Eurosport’s key markets across the continent.
Making it the most popular Roland Garros overall since 2005, over 1.3m (on average) watched the tournament throughout the 15 days of tennis, an increase of 17% versus 2017 and +35% compared with 2016. Germany (+34%), Netherlands (+163%), Spain (+34%) and Norway (+21%) all contributed to the significant uplift in viewer numbers.
Underlining its commitment to offering fans best-in-class analysis from the most knowledgeable experts in the business, viewership for Eurosport’s international and local tennis flagship shows also recorded double-digit growth. Game, Schett & Mats – hosted by seven-time Grand Slam winner Mats Wilander and Barbara Schett – increased by 15% versus 2017* and 43% compared with 2016. Locally, Matchball Becker on Eurosport in Germany – hosted by Boris Becker – reported a remarkable 40% more viewers this year compared with 12 months ago.
Also joining Eurosport’s star-studded line-up of experts during the tournament providing unrivalled analysis for millions of fans were Kim Clijsters (international), Chris Evert (international), John McEnroe (international), Patrick Mouratoglou (international), Henri Leconte (France), Marion Bartoli (France), Conchita Martinez (Spain), Alex Corretja (Spain), Anna Chakvetadze (Russia) and Greg Rusedski (UK).
In addition to 29 million video views during this year’s event on Eurosport’s social channels, (Facebook, YouTube and Instagram) – an increase of 23% - over 1.5m people interacted with Eurosport’s content across Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram, up 30% versus a year ago.
Emir Osmanbegovic, SVP Sports Content and Production at Eurosport, said:
“Roland Garros was amazing for us. Eurosport has taken tennis coverage to new heights with a dream team of experts, 4k production, innovation and engaging content on our social and digital channels.
“Discovery’s record-breaking first Olympic Games and results such as those recorded for Roland Garros shows that the audience appreciate our coverage of premium sports events on all platforms.”
Eurosport’s Roland Garros numbers at-a-glance:
• Best Roland Garros since 2005 (in total, for the men’s singles and women’s singles finals)
• Men’s final the best programme ever recorded on Eurosport in Spain
• Riding on the back of local hero Marco Cecchinato’s fairytale run to the last four in Paris, Eurosport in Italy recorded the 4th best programme of all-time for the men’s semi-final match between the Italian and Dominic Thiem
• Women’s final the fourth best programmer ever recorded on Eurosport in Romania
• Game, Schett & Mats up 15% versus 2017 (pan-Euro)
• Avantage Leconte, hosted by Henri Leconte, up 71% versus 2017 and +56% versus 2016 (Eurosport France)
• Matchball Becker up 40% versus 2017
*Based on sum of 11 key markets – Germany, Poland, Romania, UK, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Spain and France
** Audience ratings figures do not include Eurosport Player or Eurosport.com